A tried and tested recipe with a delicious sea salt twist!!
For the shortbread
175g Connacht Gold Creamery butter and extra for greasing
75g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped out
225g plain flour
For the caramel
200g Connacht Gold Sea Salt butter
1 x 397g can condensed milk
4 tbsp golden syrup
For the topping
350g milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm/8in square cake tin.
- Rub the Connacht Gold Creamery butter, sugar, vanilla seeds and flour together in a bowl to make rough dough. Press the dough into the cake tin and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake the dough in the oven for five minutes, then reduce the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2 and bake for a further 35 minutes. Once cooked, allow to cool in the tin.
- Meanwhile for the caramel, place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil for 10 minutes
- Pour the caramel mixture over the shortbread. Chill in the fridge until the caramel has cooled and hardened slightly.
- For the topping, melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, pour the chocolate over the caramel. Chill in the fridge again until the chocolate has set, then cut into 9 squares