Makes (1) 2lb loaf
- 250g plain flour1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bread soda
- 250g wholemeal flour
- Pinch of salt
- 25g light brown sugar
- 450ml Connacht Gold buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp treacle
- 25g Connacht Gold Pure Irish Butter
- Handful porridge oats
- Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan/Gas 7
- Sieve the plain flour, baking powder and bread soda into a large bowl.
- Add the wholemeal flour, salt and sugar and combine all ingredients with a fork or a whisk.
- Pour the Connacht Gold buttermilk into a jug and crack in the egg, mix well.
- Melt the Connacht Gold Pure Irish Butter with the treacle in a saucepan or microwave, set aside.
- Make a well in the flour mixture, pour in half the buttermilk mixture and gently mix through the flour with a spoon or use your hands.
- Be gentle and do not over mix.
- Pour in the remaining buttermilk mixture and treacle and butter mixture and gently combine to bring the dough together.
- Sprinkle the top with porridge oats.
- Pour the mixture into a 2lb loaf tin.
- Bake for 50-55min covering the top with tin foil at 25-30min once golden and browned on top.
- Wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool before slicing.
Adrian Martin is an Irish chef brought up in County Cavan, Ireland. He trained in some of Ireland’s most renowned restaurants including MacNean House and Michelin Star restaurant, Bon Appetite in Malahide where he was head of Pastry.
Sarah lives in the beautiful West of Ireland with her husband and their 5 kids. She began her blog in 2019 to showcase her passion for home improvement and decor and now uses her platform to showcase snippets of daily family life, baking tips and interior inspiration.
Sarah is a Cookbook author from Co. Mayo. After 20 years working as a Graphic Designer her career curved into cooking during COVID.
She has since published three cookbook and now works full time as a food influencer teaching her simple, homecooked recipes with a focus on reducing food waste and making cooking and baking fun!